This is one wine that I have made but did not use fresh blackberries. For some reason they are difficult to find growing in our area. I'm not sure if it is because there is a limited market or that they are a pain to grow and harvest. The only one that I knew of in our town was cut down because the people did not like the mess. What a shame. I used Vintner's Harvest canned blackberries for my wine and followed the recipe on the can. The recipe below is to make one gallon and uses fresh blackberries.
- 3 lb blackberries
- 2 1/4 lb sugar
- 1 gal boiling water
- yeast nutrient
- pectic enzyme
Wash, pick over berries. Crush in pail, pour boiling water over. Stir well, cool to lukewarm, add pectic enzyme per instructions.
Leave 24-36 hours, then add yeast and nutrient. Cover well, leave for 4-5 days, stirring daily.
Strain, add sugar; stir well so that sugar is all dissolved. Pour into dark fermenting jar, fill to shoulder, fit airlock. Keep the spare liquor in a smaller bottle, also with airlock/cotton wool.
When ferment slows down sufficiently for there to be no risk of it foaming through the trap (about 1 week), top it up with the spare wine to the base of the neck, refit the airlock Leave it until it clears, then rack.
Powered By Qumana