Monday, August 21, 2006

Concord Wine Recipe


I read an article in the paper today about how good the grape crop will be in and around the Lake Erie area.  So, I fiqured I would dust of this old recipe for one of my Concord Wines.  This was quite the learning experience, using actual grapes, but in the long run it was worth it.  If I could do it over again, I would not have made juice out of a portion of them.  Live and Learn.
This recipe is the first time that I used actual grapes to make wine. I picked the grapes at my bosses's father's house on an October afternoon. October 2003 was not a real good year for grapes in my area, so they were more tart then sweet. I did eventually add a couple container's of Welch's Grape Juice to the must, but that was after the original had mostly fermented. This wine ended up being an average wine.
Ingredients:
40 Pounds Concord Grapes
7 1/2 Pounds Sugar
6 Teaspoons Yeast Nutrient
2 Packs Pasteur Red Yeast

First time using real grapes, we crushed 20 pounds cold and made juice out of the other half by heating them
Racked October 5, 2003 to primary fermenter
Racked October 17, 2003 and added 33 oz Welchs Frozen Grape Juice Concentrate along with 1 cup sugar to top off

Still a work in progress, tasted in December and it still has a high acid factor

Update:  This wine did turn out decent, just took about a year.


Technorati Tags : , , ,

No comments: